Happy belated Thanksgiving to everyone. The Islanders have been mostly treading water lately with a 4-4-1 record in their past nine. The next two games will be no picnic in league Juggernaut Ottawa and Round 4 against our neighbors from the West. This weeks Good and the Bad will talk about the Islanders offense, or lack thereof.
THE GOOD -
1) Offense does not win playoff series, defense and goal tending do and that is what the teams focus should be.
2) The team has been scoring just enough to win games and are in every game. Its just a matter of getting the guys we have to produce a little bit more, and the Islanders will be fine.
3) Even if the team were to acquire another scoring forward, is it going to be enough of a talent to warrant trading some prospects and a high value draft pick to get him?
THE BAD -
1) At the end of the day, scoring wins games and the team does not have enough.
2) They are putting to much pressure on DiPietro and the defense to play perfect games which is fine against lesser teams, but to compete with the powers of the league the Islanders need a game breaker.
3) The added pressure on the defense and goal tending will be a cumulative effect as the season goes along, and that will spell doom when the grind of the season starts to wear on them.
Let me know what your opinions are on this subject. We will know more about what the Islanders are about after the Ottawa game. If they go up there and get blown away it does not bode well as another beating from a quality team would have to eat at a teams confidence.